The new year is an exciting time, filled with new beginnings and possibilities. For me, 2014 is already filling up fast with vacations, bachelorette parties, weddings and more fun events I get to share with my closest friends! So with my crazy schedule, I thought I would try to prepare early. I went online to book a flight for November, thinking the earlier I buy the more money I will save! Little did I know that buying too far in advance is actually one of the worst times to purchase a ticket.
According to a study by CheapAir.com, who analyzed 560 million flight searches, found an optimal time to buy was on average 7 weeks in advance (for domestic flights). Others have suggested a sweet spot of between 3-7 weeks in advance. The WORST time was within 14 days of flying, or too far in advance, more than 5 months.
Here are 9 tips on how you can save money on your airline tickets: For the full article click here.
- 1. Plan in advance and sign up for email alerts about low-fare deals
- 2. Know the best time in advance to book tickets
- 3. Know when airfare prices are typically the lowest.
- 4. Use aggregator sites to search for fares
- 5. Clear out your cache and cookies in between airline searches, especially on different days or weeks.
- 6. For advanced airfare sleuths, consider piecing together flights by hand with cost-saving characteristics.
- 7. Consider purchasing through consolidators, which buy bulk tickets in advance to select routes with certain carriers.
- 8. After you purchase your ticket, don’t unsubscribe from those email alerts!
Check out these popular travel sites listed below when booking your next flight:
- Get A Trip.com: Official Site
- Cheap Tickets
- Travel Zoo
- Side Step
Safe travels everyone!