Not only is Memorial Day Weekend about honoring the men and women who have served for our country, but it is also the non-official kick off to summer! My Top 5 Memorial Day getaways won’t require extensive travel – or, an extensive budget, for that matter – but will definitely help you have a memorable weekend. If you don’t have any plans, check out some of these must see, budget-friendly, attractions in Iowa!
1. Blank Park Zoo- This beautiful 22-acre zoological park featuring naturalistic exhibits with more than 800 animals from five continents, including lions, tigers, sea lions, snow leopards, giraffes and more. Admission is $11 for Adults and $6 for children.
2. Maquoketa Caves State Park – This state park boasts more caves than any other state park in Iowa. Hiking trails connect the commonly explored caves, providing a variety of options for visitors. Take some time to camp, cave, bike, hike, and more! Perfect for a weekend getaway with family or friends!
3. Adventureland- Adventureland is one of Iowa’s largest attractions. If you haven’t been to Adventureland before, this weekend would be the perfect time to go. Adventureland has over 100 rides, shows and attractions and admission includes Adventure Bay Waterpark, which opens May 24th! Best of all, you can get discounted tickets to Adventureland at Community 1st Credit Union. The cost is only $28 per ticket, which is a $12 savings on Adult admission. Pick up your tickets at any of our locations, while supplies last!
4. Lost Island- Although Lost Island Waterpark doesn’t officially open until the end of the month, you can still take a trip to enjoy a day of Mini Golfing, Go-Kart Racing and Zip Lining.
- Mini Golf: Designed to harmonize with the tropical flavor of the Island, Monaleo Adventure golf features two challenging 18-hole courses lined with native vegetation, volcanoes, rapids, dinosaur fossils, and a skull pit!.
- Go-Kart Racing: Monaleo’s Speedway is one of the longest go-kart tracks in the Midwest. If you have a need for speed, then fasten your seat belt…you’re in for the ride of your life!
- Zip Lining: Are you brave enough to ride Iowa largest and longest zip line? At over 660 feet long with a starting point of over 65 feet high, the Flying Gecko Zip Line has the thrills you’re looking for!
5. Okoboji– Okoboji is a place where people of all ages can go to have a good time. You can visit Arnold’s amusement park, historical places, shopping, local museums, theatres, golfing, and various events at University of Okoboji or explore scenic beauty with Lake Cruise. Enjoy the evening with entertaining bands, dances, drinks, shows, concerts and comedians.
If you decide to travel, here are a few ways to save a little extra cash on your trip:
- Tune up your vehicle to get the best gas mileage:
- Check your tire pressure to make sure each tire is inflated properly. You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3% by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure.
- Fill your tank early! With gas prices rising to around $4.00 or higher a gallon, it’s best to fill up before the weekend arrives.
- Use cruise control while driving! The consistent speed will save you money on gas and might save you from an expensive speeding ticket.
- Empty your trunk of any unnecessary items and save at the tank! For each additional 100 pounds loaded into your car, you lose 1% to 2% in fuel efficiency. For every 100 lbs. you manage to shed, you’ll save the equivalent of 6 cents per gallon.
- Finally, turn off the air conditioner, open the windows, and enjoy a little fresh air!
- Pack a cooler full of snacks and refreshments! While traveling, you might have a tendency to eat out, which can all add up quickly! By packing food ahead of time, you can save money to do other fun things on vacation.
Most importantly have fun, be safe and take a moment to remember why we celebrate this special day!
What are your plans for Memorial Day Weekend? Share with us in a comment below!
Until Next Time,