As the weather warms and the days grow longer, Memorial Day weekend is a time to honor the U.S. fallen soldiers and spend time with friends and family. As the unofficial mark of the beginning of summer, the activities for Memorial Day Weekend are endless. Stuck on what to do on your much-deserved day off? If you don’t have plans but are looking for something fun to do, check out this list of last minute Memorial Day Weekend ideas:
- Get outside and take the time to enjoy the sun! Have a bonfire or a picnic with your family. Outdoor activities are generally free, so they fit in perfectly with a thrifty lifestyle.
- Spend time on the water! Rent a boat, kayak, canoe or fishing boat. Get a group of friends to help split the cost. Bring your own beverages and snacks and enjoy the soothing waves while catching some rays!
- Go Camping! Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of camping season! With no work or school on Monday, many of us will break for the outdoors to welcome the warm weather. Campsite spots fill up fast so call ahead to see if they have anything available.
- A barbecue is also a great way to enjoy the outdoors while feeding your friends and family on a budget. Hamburgers and brats are always a great choice and won’t break your bank account. Don’t be afraid to ask guests to bring sides or drinks to a barbecue, saving you a few more dollars. Most likely, they will be glad to help out!
- Instead of traveling, or hosting a party, enjoy your three-day weekend in the comfort of your own living room. Rent some movies and enjoy quality time with your loved ones for little or no cost.
If you decide you are traveling, here are some tips I recently wrote about in a previous blog:
- Tune up your vehicle to get the best gas mileage:
- Check your tire pressure to make sure each tire is inflated properly. You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3% by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure.
- Fill your tank early! With gas prices rising to around $4.00 or higher a gallon, it’s best to fill up before the weekend arrives.
- Use cruise control while driving! The consistent speed will save you money on gas and might save you from an expensive speeding ticket.
- Empty your trunk of any unnecessary items and save at the tank! For each additional 100 pounds loaded into your car, you lose 1% to 2% in fuel efficiency. For every 100 lbs. you manage to shed, you’ll save the equivalent of 6 cents per gallon.
- Finally, turn off the air conditioner, open the windows, and enjoy a little fresh air!
- Pack a cooler full of snacks and refreshments! While traveling, you might have a tendency to eat at nice restaurants or fast food chains which can all add up quickly! By packing food ahead of time, you can save money to do other fun things on vacation!
Hope you all have a wonderful 3 day weekend!
Happy Memorial Day!