Happy Friday Everyone!
Thanks to my HR Department today, I was inspired to do a Fitness Friday post for you!
Summer is here and now that school is over, most of you have plenty of time to spare! Get motivated to be healthy and get your body in shape. Eating healthy and staying fit while enjoying summer vacation takes planning and effort, but with hard work and determination, it can happen! Check out some of these healthy lifestyle habits to get you looking and feeling your best this summer!
1. Eat a diet low in saturated fats
While fat is high in calories, eliminating it completely is a bad idea. Fat helps trigger satiety, meaning you feel full longer and feel more satisfied. Small amounts of unsaturated fats, like a small handful of nuts, some avocado, a drizzle of olive oil, or some peanut butter are actually good for your heart and help you to absorb fat soluble vitamins.
2. Eat More Veggies, Fruits and Whole Grains
These foods are loaded with fiber, which keeps you feeling full. They’re also packed with health-promoting vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
3. Get plenty of sleep
Sleep is vital to good health and to your mental and emotional well-being. The National Sleep Foundation reports that people who don’t get enough sleep are more likely than others to develop psychiatric and health problems. Plus, sleep deprivation can negatively affect memory, learning and logical reasoning. Basically getting enough sleep will make you look and feel better, and make you more alert!
Exercise is one of the most important parts of a diet and losing weight. Exercise burns calories, and calories are what you depend on to get you through the day. Because calories are often stored as fat, you need to burn more calories than you consume, therefore losing the stored fat. You can’t just lose weight magically, it takes a real effort. Some great ways to lose calories this summer are:
- Bike riding.
- Playing sports like soccer, basketball, swimming, or lacrosse.
- Walking your pet everyday.
- Sand Volleyball
- Fitness Videos
- Get a gym membership if you plan to utilize it!
5. Drink Water!
Water makes up almost 70% of your body! Therefore water serves many functions. It helps your digestion, prevents dizziness and dehydration. Water decreases your appetite, and it’s actually not possible to lose weight without drinking a lot of water. Drink at least 8 cups of water everyday! Ditch the pop and fill up that water bottle!
6. Boost Your Metabolism
Eat 5-6 small meals every day. Your body will appreciate the continuous supply of energy throughout the day, and it will burn more calories than if you ate only 1 or 2 large meals per day. But most importantly, never starve yourself! Not only will you feel terrible, but you will also slow down your metabolism. Your body will start conserving calories rather than burning them. In addition, when calories are restricted, you’re more likely to overeat later.
7. Stop criticizing your body. Get off the scale. Quit grabbing that extra pudge on your waist and staring at it in the mirror. And stop complaining to your friends about how much you hate yourself for not looking exactly the way you want to look. None of this is helpful. If you continue to beat yourself up over your imperfections, you’ll never be happy with yourself. Be PATIENT! Losing weight doesn’t happen over night. It takes time but you can start today by cutting out all the bad. Make weekly SMART goals and reward yourself each time you accomplish that goal. Rewards help motivate you for continued success!
What are some things you do to stay healthy? Please share your tips with us in a comment below!
Until Next Time,