Sometimes to get in the Halloween spirit you just need a little scare or a childhood memory to remind yourself of why you love the holiday so much. What better way to do that than watching your favorite Halloween movies? Check out this list of my top 10 favorite Halloween movies. Ranging from kid friendly to the scariest movies of all time, these are all worth checking out! Enjoy!
1. Hocus Pocus (1993): Why is this on my list of the best Halloween movies of all time? Because it is by far the best and most important part of Halloween. Three witches (played by Sarah Jessica Parker, Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy) return 300 years after being hung for their spell work in 17th-century Salem, Massachusetts. To hold onto immortality, they have to take the life of a child, and the three kids who accidentally resurrected them are doing all they can to stop the witches from returning Salem to the way it was when they first lived. This over-the-top comedy has witchcraft, black cats, and lots of laughs, and it’s sure to make your Halloween a blast!
2. Halloweentown (1998): Halloweentown is a Disney Channel Halloween classic in which three siblings who aren’t allowed to celebrate Halloween run away with their Halloween-loving grandmother and discover that she’s a witch from a town called Halloweentown! Sit back, relax and have a Halloweentown marathon this year—it has three sequels!
3. Beetle Juice (1998): Adam and Barbara are a normal couple…who happen to be dead. They have given their precious time to decorate the house and make it their own, but unfortunately a family is moving in, and not quietly. Adam and Barbara try to scare them out, but ends up becoming the main attraction to the money making family. They call upon Beetlejuice to help, but Beetlejuice has more in mind than just helping!
4. Hotel Transylvania (2012): Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count’s teen-aged daughter
5. The Addams Family (1991): They’re creepy and they’re kooky, they’re all together ookie … so they’re perfect for Halloween! The Addams Family is another classic to watch this Halloween no matter what age you are!
6. Scream (1996) : The original Scream movie is a Halloween classic. The Ghost face killer that reappears in the subsequent movies makes its first appearance in this movie, killing teenagers living in a small town. A girl and her friends set out to find him, but doesn’t end so well for the majority of the group!
7. Halloween (1978): You might want to keep the lights on when watching Halloween—it’s seriously scary! It’s about a murderer who killed his brother and sister when he was little, so he was institutionalized. But then he escapes and that’s where the horror begins.
8. Disturbia (2007): Shia LaBeouf stars in this thriller about a teen who thinks his neighbor is a total serial killer. Watching the movie, you’ll be trying to figure out the same thing! Great plot with some crazy twists!
9. The Ring (2002): I still believe this is the scariest movie of all time. A young journalist, Rachel Keller, must investigate a mysterious videotape which apparently caused the death of four teenagers. There is an urban legend about this tape: the viewer will die seven days after watching it. If the legend is correct, Rachel will have to run against time to save her son’s and her own life.
10. Paranormal Activity (2007): This is one of those movies you are either terrified of or find extremely comical. Unfortunately for me, this movie haunts me. After moving into a suburban home, a couple becomes increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence. If you haven’t seen it but are looking to do so, make sure you watch with someone else or keep a light on just to be safe 😉
What are your favorite Halloween movies? Did your favorites make the list?
Until Next Time,