Memorial Day weekend is about honoring the men and women who have served for our country, but it is also the unofficial kick off to summer! No matter what your plans are, check out some helpful money-saving tips this Memorial Day Weekend!
If you’re traveling, here are some ways to save a little extra cash:
- Tune up your vehicle to get the best gas mileage:
- Check your tire pressure to make sure each tire is inflated properly. You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3% by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure.
- Use cruise control while driving! The consistent speed will save you money on gas and might save you from an expensive speeding ticket.
- Empty your trunk of any unnecessary items and save at the tank! For each additional 100 pounds loaded into your car, you lose 1% to 2% in fuel efficiency. For every 100 lbs. you manage to shed, you’ll save the equivalent of 6 cents per gallon.
- Finally, turn off the air conditioner, open the windows, and enjoy a little fresh air (assuming the rain stays away)!
- Pack a cooler full of snacks and refreshments! While traveling, you might have a tendency to eat at nice restaurants or fast food chains which can all add up quickly! By packing food ahead of time, you can save money to do other fun things on vacation!
- The warm weather is finally here! If the rain decides to stay away this weekend, take time to enjoy the sun, have a bonfire or a picnic with your family. Outdoor activities are generally free, so they fit in perfectly with a thrifty lifestyle.
- Spend time on the water! Rent a boat, kayak, canoe or fishing boat. Get a group of friends to help split the cost. Bring your own beverages and snacks and enjoy the soothing waves while catching some rays!
- Go Camping! Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of camping season! With no work or school on Monday, many of us will break for the outdoors to embrace the warm weather. Campsite spots fill up fast so call ahead to see if they have anything available.
- A barbecue is also a great way to enjoy the outdoors while feeding your friends and family on a budget. Hamburgers and hotdogs are always a great choice and won’t break your bank account. Don’t be afraid to ask guests to bring sides or drinks to a barbecue, saving you a few more dollars. Most likely, they will be glad to help out! Play some music and grab a bags set or some other fun outdoor activities you and your guests can enjoy. It’s sure to be a hit!
- Instead of traveling, or hosting a party, enjoy your three-day weekend in the comfort of your own living room. Rent some movies and enjoy quality time with your loved ones for little or no cost.
Most importantly have fun, be safe and take a moment to remember why we celebrate this special day!
Have a great weekend!