Want to celebrate Valentine’s Day without going into debt? Keep reading!
Some of the best gifts involve sharing time, along with a little thoughtfulness. And the memories last far longer than a dozen roses or a box of chocolates. Here are a few ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day.
For a spouse or significant other:
- Give them Time: Give your hardworking loved one a full day to do whatever he or she wants. If that means a day to just relax make sure to give that to them – no interruptions allowed. For him, that might mean he gets to engage in his favorite hobby, watch a game with the guys, play 18 holes or do absolutely nothing. For her, that might mean a spa day, binge watching Netflix or just enjoying a new book. To make their day even more special, throw in a back rub, make their favorite dinner or watch their favorite movie. You’ll give them the chance to recharge and that will mean more to them than chocolates ever could!
- Get Cooking: Instead of spending a fortune at an expensive restaurant, run to the grocery store and pick up the essentials to make your loved one’s favorite meal. Light some candles, dim the lights and play some romantic music in the background. Don’t forget the desert!
- New Adventures: Do something different. Go somewhere you’ve never been before or someplace you haven’t been in a while that’s special. The site of your first date, for example. When you vary your routines, it helps create new memories!
- Surprise, surprise: The best gifts are those you usually least expect. Make breakfast in bed or hide notes around the house telling your loved one how much they mean to you. Both of these ideas are super simple and won’t cost you a penny! Just remember: It’s the little things that sometimes mean the most. You don’t have to spend a lot to express how you feel!
- IOU Coupons: An excellent way to show your love can be through making IOU coupons or vouchers. Some examples include:
- This voucher is good for one week of dish washing by me, no questions asked.
- This voucher is good for guaranteeing one season of your favorite TV show to be shared with me. And a promise that there will be no channel surfing during said show.
- This voucher is good for one foot massage. To be redeemed any time.
- This voucher is good for one breakfast in bed.
If flowers are a must, you may have to cash up a few extra dollars. Flower bouquets are always extremely over priced on Valentine’s day. My recommendation is to pick some up from the grocery store as opposed to a flower shop. Also, try looking for flowers at wholesale stores like Costco and Sam’s Club. They will be cheaper, and your loved one will never even know the difference! It’s the thought that counts, right?
Whatever your gift might be, the most important feature of any gift is sincerity. Tell your Valentine you’re happy they are in your life. The best gift of all should be spending quality time with your loved one and showing them how much you care about them, not just on Valentine’s Day, but everyday!
Happy Valentine’s Day!